Friday, April 11, 2008

So much to do...

Busy weekend I have coming up! I work tomorrow until about 3pm and then I'll be over at my friend R's house to help start setting up for the engagement brunch we are throwing for our friend K on Sunday. I am SO excited about this! Mainly because we've kept it a secret for almost 2 months and I know K has absolutely NO idea and she's going to be so happy when she sees everyone! There's about 20 ladies coming, including her mom, soon to be mother in law and soon to be grandmother in law. We've convinced her that the 3 of us (me, R and our other friend L) are going to take her out to lunch to celebrate her engagement. Since the party is at R's house, we will just head there to "pick her up" and then SURPRISE! I love surprise parties!! I know some people hate them, but I think they are so fun!

The theme of the party is obviously pink, girly and fabulous. We've collected the most adorable pink supplies, and even got table linens and place settings that all match perfectly. I will be sure to take tons of pics! Unfortunately, it does NOT look like the weather is going to be in our favor (cloudy and a high of 58), so the party will probably not be able to be outside. Which is too bad because R's backyard is amazing! The inside of her house is pretty awesome too (it's like a 200 year old historic home that's been totally re-done), so it should still work out well. We're serving mini sandwiches, quiche, mini strawberry shortcakes and other fun girlie food. Oh and mimosas...obviously!

Also on Sunday we are meeting a dog! (that sounds so funny) We've still been in the process of trying to adopt a puppy, and we may actually be getting close on this one! i am NOT getting my hopes up AT ALL, but we made it past the initial stage of interviews and applications and now they are bringing the puppy over for a "home visit". This really scares me because our "home" is the size of a shoebox. They are obviously not going to be a fan of our current living situation. However, I'm thinking if we explain to them that we may be moving and tell them about our potential LARGE house with a LARGE yard, it might convince them we would be good dog parents. That's really the only thing holding us back. I've already met the puppy and pretty much fallen in love with her. Sailor boy hasn't met her, but i know once he does, it will be ALL over. he will LOVE her. she's about 6 months old, playful, sweet, very smart and already knows sit, stay, lay down and her name. She's also 95% housebroken and crate trained. basically the perfect dog. again, NOT getting my hopes up...but I'll keep everyone posted.

I'll leave you on this Friday morning with a recipe that Sailor Boy's mom gave me after Easter. It's for a blueberry "cake"...it's seriously AMAZING and I plan on making it for the brunch for K on Sunday!

German Blueberry Cake

Crust
1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
½ cup Sugar
Dash salt
½ cup softened butter

Berry Mixture
4 cups blueberries (use frozen in the winter)
1 Tbs. fresh Lemon Juice
3 Tbs. Quick Cooking Tapioca
¼ tsp. Salt
½ cup Sugar
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon

Combine flour, dash of salt, butter and ½ cup of the sugar. Mix with a pastry blender or fork, until crumbs are formed. Measure ¾ cup of the crumbs and set aside.
Press the remaining crumbs evenly over the bottom and about ¾” up the sides of a 9” spring-form pan

Combine blueberries, lemon juice, tapioca, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes then spoon the berry mixture into the crumb lined pan
Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes then sprinkle the top with the remaining crumbs. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until the crumbs are golden brown

Serve warm or cold. Top with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. YUM!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Well I Do Declare said...

I just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading it! I always wanted to be a wedding planner :) Can't wait to read more!!!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs