Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner!

I'm SO excited that it's almost time for my favorite eating holiday of the year! We are heading to J's aunts house to stuff ourselves silly on Thursday.

My Thanksgiving routine usually consists of this:

Wake Up Early

Go for a LONG run (hopefully I can get 6-7 miles in)...I love running on Thanksgiving day because then you can eat as much as you want without feeling too guilty about all the food!

Eat a small breakfast (usually a bowl of cereal - gotta save room for later!)

Watch the parade, relax and then get ready for the day

EAT!

As much as I love Thanksgiving, I actually do not like turkey at all. I don't know why - it's just boring to me, especially when there are so many delicious sides to eat! So I rarely eat turkey on Thanksgiving, maybe one small piece. I do, however, love me some turkey sandwiches the next day! YUM!

Here's what I'm most excited to eat on Thursday:
Stuffing - probably my favorite dish of the entire day!

Sweet Potatoes - I like mine with a few marshmallows on top.

Cranberry Sauce, straight from the can! Serve it right to the table with the ridges...delicious!

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy - basically the entire day is just one big carb!

But my most favorite thing in the entire WORLD (and I only get it on Thanksgiving)...

CREAMED ONIONS! Does anyone else eat these on Thanksgiving? I've always grown up eating these every year, but I don't think many people have these on Thanksgiving. Basically they are the small pearl onions in this delicious white cream sauce (super healthy, I'm sure!). My mom ALWAYS makes them and I usually eat the entire bowl...ha! Jake had never eaten them until he came to our house for Thanksgiving a few years ago and now he's hooked too! Anyone else know about these, or is my family just weird?

And now, things my family doesn't eat on Thanksgiving and I HATE!

Green Bean Casserole...YUCK! Not a fan at all!
Sauerkraut! I think this is a German tradition...I hate everything about it - the smell, the taste! Unfortunately, J's family is very German, so I know they will be serving it this year. BLAH!

What foods do you eat every year? Are there certain things that your family eats that you don't think anyone else does (like creamed onions)? Happy Almost Thanksgiving!

13 comments:

KatiePerk said...

I LOVE leftover turkey sandwiches!!!

Red and White Preppy said...

I love eating cranberry sauce from the can with ridges and all :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Freck said...

Looks like your Thanksgiving is going to be delicious! I love the pictures that you used in this post, so fresh and yummy looking.

I hope I can get up and run on Thanksgiving morning, too! Nothing better than a guilt-less Turkey day, right?? :) Hope you have a great one!

carrie1 said...

Creamed onions? Are those the same as pearl onions?? Chris has been wanting those things and I can't find them for the life of me.

Unknown said...

I had to laugh at the cranberry sauce straight from the can...that's the way my brother likes it too! And one year we had fabulous, fresh cranberry sauce and my brother wouldn't eat it. Ha! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

P*P*P said...

My fav. is the stuffing -- Creamed onions I have NEVER tried, but I love onions so I would prob. LOVE them!!! Yummy! Have a great Thanksgiving -- glad to see you are back in the blog scene again!

The Pink Chick said...

I love dressing (it's like stuffing but different)! Yummy! It's my favorite Thanksgiving food. Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

I agree, Thanksgiving food is so wonderful! My favorite are brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce and mustard greens. These are definately something most people don't eat on Thanksgiving but we always do and they are delicious. They go very well with cornbread stuffing and sweet potatoes! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Pink, Green, and Southern said...

I HATE green bean casserole too!! My favorite part of the meal is the mashed potatoes, which I eat all year. All of your favorites look so yummy!

MCW said...

Stuffing is my favorite! but, only with gravy!
Not a fan of green bean casserole either...

Wila (aka Ali) said...

You're too funny! GB Casserole is one of my favs! :-) But that's why there's so much food at t'giving...so everyone can have what they love! Happy holiday to you!

Wila (aka Ali) said...

You're too funny! GB Casserole is one of my favs! :-) But that's why there's so much food at t'giving...so everyone can have what they love! Happy holiday to you!

kelly said...

dressing is definitely my favorite!!! i've never heard of the pearl onions before... hmm. hope your first married thanksgiving was incredible!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs